BUCCANEERS U-20’s are also on the up as they scored a comprehensive 47-0 victory over Seapoint in their J.P.Fanagan Leinster League Premier 2 meeting at Dubarry Park on Sunday. Buccs were in control from start to finish against the visitors who battled vainly to stem the tide on a sunny but cool afternoon.

Seapoint had first use of the fresh breeze but Buccs, despite losing the unfortunate Sam Fogarty to an early injury, pinned them back from the off. The Pirates opened their account with an 8th minute Charlie Byrne try that had a hint of double movement about it. Ruaidhri Fallon slotted over the conversion.

Oisin Horan was yellow carded for the visitors following a deliberate 20th minute knock-on. Buccs kicked the penalty to the left corner and soon Byrne was stretching over for a 23rd minute unconverted try.

Just before the interval, Fionn McDonnell won a lineout on the right and the ball was moved to the opposite flank where James Blair made a strong break and the Scot sent Orrin Burgess racing away for a try. Fallon converted to give Buccs a 19-0 lead at half-time.
Buccaneers won an early penalty following the change of ends. They were held out but quickly won another penalty which was tapped swiftly and Australian Burgess powered through a number of defenders for a fine 43rd minute bonus point try. Ten minutes later, Buccs scored a near replica try with Gavin Daly burrowing in for a try.

Buccs constructed a beautiful 65th minute move that was curtailed by a high tackle on Sean Treacy. McDonnell took a quick tap and go and Seapoint were on the retreat again with Byrne applying the finishing touch to complete his hat-trick of tries. In the final move, workaholic McDonnell again took a quick tapped penalty and made big yardage from midfield before releasing Tom Shine whose strong run yielded Buccaneers seventh try. Fallon converted all second half tries, his penultimate conversion being sublime as the rain now cascaded down.
One minute’s silence was respectfully observed prior to kick-off in memory of James Connor who died last week. Jim was a lifelong contributor at Seapoint, managing teams until his recent short illness. A Dubliner he was the epitome of a club volunteer, still continuing his tireless work even though he had relocated to south Kilkenny from where he commuted three times weekly for training and match days. Deepest sympathy is extended to his family and all at Seapoint RFC.


BUCCANEERS:- J.Blair; B.Daly, T.Shine (captain), J.Crampton, O.Burgess; R.Fallon, D.Colgan; J.Connolly, O.Dolan, C.Byrne; F.McDonnell, S.Fogarty; R.Byrne, G.Daly and L.Balsiger. Replacements:- D.Fitzgerald (for Fogarty, inj. 6 mins), D.Bolger (for Connolly, 45 mins), M.Glynn (for Colgan, 45 mins), J.Dunican (for R.Byrne, 45 mins), S.Treacy (for Burgess, 60 mins), E.Naughton (for C.Byrne, 70 mins), J.Connolly (for Daly, 70 mins) and C.McCann.

SEAPOINT:- S.Lynch; O.Horan, S.Cassidy, S.Manning, A.Hoade; A.Tormey-Murphy, H.Whelehan; C.McCaul, B.Emerson, H.O’Neill; E.Sheehan, J.Reynolds; S.Hughes, H.Ross (captain) and C.Desmond. Replacments:- D.Frankling, C.Brady, C.Byrne, T.Maruma, P.Guest, T.Onyemelukwe, P.Bolger and D.Drohan.

Referee:- John Quinn (Connacht).