BUCCANEERS THIRDS continued on their merry way in the Bank of Ireland Ard-Na-Cregg Cup when they cruised past Westport Seconds in a floodlit quarter-final played at Dubarry Park on Wednesday with the midlanders coming out on top by 41-10.

Two tries in the opening ten minutes sent the Pirates on their way with George Kenny crashing over for a try in a slick attack after only 2 minutes. That was soon followed by a fine maul that saw Trevor Thompson grounding for a try converted by David Fagan and a 12-0 lead.

Both teams traded penalties before an Alex Hayman surge was carried on by Tony Ward and, following a skipped pass by Fagan, finished on the left by Harry Hughes with Fagan adding the conversion on 29 minutes. Some fine interplay five minutes later in which Hayman was again influential was rewarded with a Declan Byrne try. Just before half-time, which arrived with Buccs 27-3 ahead, the visitors had a let off when Leon O’Connor was unable to hold Fagan’s crossfield kick.

Westport made a better start to the second half but Declan Byrne soon dampened their fire when he broke from near halfway to surge forward and provide a flying finish for a try converted by Fagan. Westport got some reward for their efforts when Damien McLoughlin notched a try between the posts and Joe O’Malley added the extras to make it 34-10.

However, Buccaneers had the final say when Dermot O’Rourke reacted swiftest to chase a grubber kick ahead to score a converted try that completed the 41-10 scoreline. This was another decent all-round effort by the Athlone side, benefitting from the wiles of Hayman, Garreth Halligan and Fagan with Hughes, Ward and Rory Grenham also catching the eye.

BUCCANEERS:- H.Hughes; D.Byrne, J.Downes, A.Hayman, L.O’Connor; D.Fagan, D.O’Rourke; K.Grehan, R.Grenham, T.Thompson (captain); G.Kenny, S.Byrne; T.Ward, M.Lyons and G.Halligan. Replacements:- D.Brady (for Ward, inj. 31 mins), E.Slevin (for Grehan, h/t), J.Henson (for Kenny, h/t), N.Harney (for Lyons, h/t), S.Flynn (for Downes, 50 mins), K.Grehan (for Thompson, 57 mins), L.Doyle (for Halligan, 60 mins), M.Lyons (for Slevin, 64 mins), M.Byrne (for O’Connor, 63 mins) and P.McManus.

Referee:- S.Gregory (Connacht).